Monday, October 02, 2006

Top Funeral Songs (UK)

Showing that you can take a little bit of hell with you into the afterlife, the British show their atrocious taste in funeral music.

The best use of music in a funeral related scene for me would have to be 'Can't Always Get What You Want' in the Yuppieflick 'The Big Chill'. Of course, that was a suicide.

I'm on record as wanting a Roast instead of a Wake if I die in the next 10 years.

What music to play though?

My 'dying with loved ones around me a la Philadelphia' tearjerker song: The Verve - 'See You in the Next One (Have a good time)'

For that matter, Bittersweet Symphony is a natural.

Think High-Fidelity had a list of funeral songs... checking interwebs... "Rob: Songs at my funeral: "Many Rivers to Cross" by Jimmy Cliff, "Angel" by Aretha Franklin, and I've always had this fantasy that some beautiful, tearful woman would insist on "You're the Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me" by Gladys Knight. But who would that woman be?"

The original post from Kofi's Hat:
Kofi's hat: "Brits Ponder Funeral Music

In a new U.K. poll, 5,000 people were surveyed about the music that might be played at their funeral. 51% said they know what song they would want played, and 79% said they've discussed it. Despite all the thought the respondents would seem to have put into the matter, their top choice is James Blunt's 'Goodbye My Lover'.

Some of the choices are maudlin, some defiant, some baffling ('Every Breath You Take'? Sting thinks it's 'very, very sinister'. That could be the vibe people are going for, but I think it's more likely they misunderstand the song.)

The Top Twenty Funeral Songs:

1. James Blunt - Goodbye My Lover
2. Robbie Williams - Angels
3. Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley - I've Had the Time of my Life
4. Bette Midler - Wind Beneath my Wings
5. Pie Jesu (Requiem)
6. Elton John - Candle in the Wind
7. U2 - With or Without You
8. Eric Clapton - Tears from Heaven
9. The Police - Every Breath You Take
10. Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody
11. Daniel O'Donnell - Danny Boy
12. Sarah Brightman - Time to Say Goodbye
13. Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World
14. Bob Dylan - Knocking on Heaven's Door
15. Aerosmith - I Don't Want to Miss a Thing
16. Simon and Garfunkel - Bright Eyes
17. The Bangles - Eternal Flame (YSI link, available on Greatest Hits)
18. Bon Jovi - I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
19. Fame - I Want to Live Forever (they likely mean Irene Cara's song)
20. S Club 7 - Reach for the Stars"

No comments: